Monday, October 25, 2010

Technology...in the Classroom

While the title of my post may conjure up some unpleasant memories about a required education course at the University of Iowa, I want to discuss a seeming hot topic in education today: the application of technology to curriculum. In theory, it sounds great and I am all for supporting and using the multiple literacies of our students.

For example, in my practicum, the juniors are blogging. We spent much of last week setting up their accounts, creating profiles, and explaining the purpose of their assignments. Their blogs would make many educatroin theorists happy as the kids use this familiar medium to engage in meaningful literary activities. Instead of traditional literature circles, the kids blog to each other in the form of literary letters. They are not only using the technology that surrounds them outside of school, but the forum provides them a way to interact with peers through a context that is familiar. Although the crux of any supposed "ideal" English classroom is discussion, the blogs give students who may not normally have a strong voice in class the opportunity and space to express their thoughts. This process of constructing an online identity and voice (albeit through literature instead of for their social lives) comes naturally to students as they engage in such exercises daily outside of school.

So, technology works perfectly to engage the interests of my students, right? Because we view literature in a medium close to the lives of our students outside of school, they thrive, right? Well, not necessarily. While some students did very well in this setting, many were distracted by anything and everything on the computer. I spent a lot of the period shepherding students away from Facebook, PhotoBooth, and e-mail accounts. Furthermore, many students asked if they had to use "good English" and if they must write their responses in paragraph form. Although they were engaging in a familiar literacy, the construct of school and the classroom prevented many from sincerely interacting with their books.

I guess my question is one that plagues English teachers daily: how can we remove the constraints and constructs of school from the classroom? How can we engage students in the curriculum when even when the best techniques do not entice the students who struggle? If kids seem not to respond to meaningful curriculum that incorporates the technology they frequently use, where can we go? Of course, I have no answers here, and I don't think there is just one "right" way to approach this dilemma. In fact, I think this question will last just as long as teaching.

Mackenzie

6 comments:

  1. It is very hard to keep adolescents away from their friends and phones. Giving them access to a computer seems the next best way for them to communicate! I think technology can be great, but also a complete hot mess. I think exposure and a definite set of expectations/goals for each blogging session will help keep students on track. Good luck, I don't envy you your Facebook policing duties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly do believe that the future of education rests in the online world (along with everything from TV, to music, to friendship). Eventually we'll get to the point where schools are so wired up that anything on the internet will be available for use instantaneously. Why not let kids start getting there a bit early? I love bringing technology into the classroom, in anyway I can, although I recognize it can lead students to go off task

    -Alex Rummelhart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mackenzie,

    It is like you have read my mind. : ) I was just writing a research proposal about this very thing. I'm really interested in the phenomenon that happens where once something is put inside a school context, it seems to lose its luster for students. I can remember talking to a student about reading. She was obviously an avid reader, but absolutely refused to read anything assigned in class. When I talked to her about why she refused to read, she said, "because you tell me I have to." So interesting...

    On another note, I think technology in the classroom opens up so much conversation. We always have to be alert at to why we are using technology. Using technology just for the sake of using technology is not good practice (I'm not at all implying that is what is happening with your cooperating teacher--I don't think it is at all.) I just mean that we have to weight the pros and cons--consider what the technology adds that other means would not.

    Finally, I used to teach in a classroom that had all laptops, every day, for a Writing 10 class. OMG--policing that was an absolute nightmare as you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post got me thinking ahead to a day where some students might be so used to interacting through a technological medium that real face to face discussion would come as a shock. I'm not sure what to make of such a possible future, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Amie says above, once something, even blogging and social networks, is put in the classrom it "loses its luster." It's so frustrating! Perhaps, it loses its luster because it's apparent that we are trying too hard to make school and assignments relevant. Is there a way to be more organic so our attempts aren't so evident? Would that help the situation? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technology is a big issue...it's the #1 distractor but also a #1 way to attempt to reach kids. Not something anyone will be able to figure out how to deal with, but then again, there are always issues to deal with in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete