Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Dreaded Rubric

Rubrics. As Wilson describes in her text, Rethinking Rubrics, these simple pieces of paper can inspire fear while simultaneously limiting the creative power of students. Although the genesis of rubrics was initially "good" and even though many students take comfort in these guidelines, something about them doesn't seem to fit how students, teachers, and writers think in this postmodern world. As Wilson enumerates in her analysis, a sole-emphasis on rubrics teaches students to value the product and not the process.

As I was reading Wilson's text, one line toward the end particularly struck home. While discussing Linda Christensen's grading system outlined in Reading, Writing, and Rising Up, Wilson notes how "our focus on process gives us room to respond effectively to truly gifted writers. In classes where every paper is graded, those students who consistently get high grades received little specific feedback or encouragement to revise--doesn't an A paper imply perfection?" In such a system, rubrics impose limits on students ready to take new challenges while telling struggling writers that their product is simply not good enough. The pressure of these boundaries can make the writing process more taxing and definitely less enjoyable.

As a student, I always wanted feedback. When I received good grades, I enjoyed the praise, but I wanted more. I rejoiced when I received long comments from teachers encouraging me to try new things with my writing, and was silently disappointed when I instead received a neatly completed rubric. While I tried to push my thinking, the rubric was always there to set my limits for me if I didn't feel like taking a risk.

With practicum this semester, I am beginning to learn how little time teachers truly have during the day. While I will try my utmost to respond personally and individually to my students' writings, it seems irrational to write long and personalized comments on every paper my students write. Furthermore, pressure from students, parents, and administration may force teachers into using such a system. However, as Wilson discusses in her text, this does not mean teachers have to use rigid rubrics that stifle thought. Teachers can work within the rubrics to find ways to assess student progress.

A professor this summer taught our class one such way for teachers to fight the constraints of rubrics. While this teacher's school required her to use rubrics, she found a way to work within the system. Instead of capping her rubric categories at "Excellent" (or whatever inane phrase most rubrics utilize), she would leave an empty box at the bottom of the sheet. She explained to her students that this box was there to remind them that she does not set the limits for their writing; she wanted her students to go beyond the grade to push their thinking to undetermined heights. Amazingly, this simple empty box seemed to work and her students were more inclined to take risks and push themselves. They did not feel so constrained by the system.

One final note: I read Reading, Writing, and Rising Up during Language and Learning last semester and LOVED it. For those of you looking for an inspiring and practical text, Christensen fits the bill.

Mackenzie



2 comments:

  1. I loved what your professor taught you in class this summer. It's very creative, and I'm happy to hear that there are ways to "beat the system". I might have to use that idea for my future classes. I'm actually really happy I read your blog- it was insightful and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like how your teacher took a common facet of schooling today and made it work in a nonrestrictive way. This is what we have to do to keep kids working to their potential, not just to score well on a rubric.

    ReplyDelete