Because of Lesser's work, millions of children learned through the technology that surrounded them. Kindergarten teachers had to change their curriculum as children came to school already knowing their letters and numbers from Sesame Street. Furthermore (and perhaps most importantly), learning became interactive and fun as strange looking animals and monsters captivated the imaginations of children. I absolutely loved Sesame Street and my mother recently told me that as a little girl I would burst into tears at the conclusion of every episode.
Today, it seems education and learning faces a dilemma similar to Lesser's. Living in this postmodern world, our students engage in multiple new literacies that many educators neglect, if not outright reject, in the classroom. Instead of becoming responsive to these new technological developments, it seems that education chooses to ignore the changing dynamics of society. While I am no expert on utilizing the latest technology, I think educators should at least attempt to adopt the "Sesame Street" mentality and work to incorporate these new cultural mediums in the classroom. Allowing students to work within the technology that shapes their lives could provide numerous opportunities for meaningful learning.
Of course, I cannot begin to tell teachers how to restructure of their classrooms, and I would never advocate abandoning books for iPads or Kindles or whatever they're called (I'm way too attached to my books to ever support that). However, I think with a little creativity we can use new technology to develop the multiple literacies of our students. Maybe with some of these innovations, our students will grow to love the classroom just as much as I loved Sesame Street.
Mackenzie
Here's a link to the original report I saw on Dr. Lesser and Sesame Street:
I don't remember loving or hating Sesame Street, but I remember the songs, so I think I must have watched a lot of it. Cool background info on the original premise of the show. I really like the idea of taking a new median and using it to teach. It's easy to imagine educators resenting the TV when it first came out (we still do), so we ought to commend someone who saw the potential in the new technology, and look for similar initiatives with today's increasing technology.
ReplyDelete