In an article I read for class, the author described teaching as a "lonely profession." I think this is true to an extent, and my cooperating teacher and I discussed this many times throughout the semester. There is only one adult in room interacting with thirty-something adolescents. During the day, the exchange between colleagues is minimal and usually reduced to a few minutes of passing time. While prep periods and after school provide time to meet, this time is often dedicated to planning and working. Because of this, it is easy to feel lonely or uncertain of teaching decisions when there is not another adult in the room. However, I think the trade-offs for this loneliness are the unique connections teachers form with their students. I know I already miss the connections I formed with my students in eight-weeks, and it's hard to imagine that feeling multiplied. In this sense, I think teaching unmatched by any other profession.
Again, these ideas are nothing new to the teaching world. However, it's nice to have this blog as a medium to communicate them, especially as I go through this experience for the first time. :)
Mackenzie
Before reading this blog, I never really considered teaching to be a "lonely profession". I guess to others, it would seem that way, but to people like us, interacting with the students keeps us far from being "lonely". That is what I love about teaching--only the people that do it can really understand how rewarding it is to work with kids.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. It was a little bittersweet to read about your experience and also to think about the profession that we're all venturing into. And I completely agree with both you and Jenny - it's all about the students :)
ReplyDeleteI agree about Practicum Mackenzie. I have been out of sorts, since break began, I keep wondering what the kids are doing without me.
ReplyDeleteConnections are, I believe, the number one most important facet of teaching. Creating the relationships with students is not only wonderful, but extremely important to their learning
Alex
It is heartening to read this. It made me cry. It isn't trite, it isn't cutsey, it is exactly what we get in this profession to do. We make connections with students, and through those connections this thing called learning takes place, for them, and for us.
ReplyDeleteTeaching is a very lonely profession, and in my opinion that is a problem. Our colleagues are having these same thoughts, about connecting with kids, wondering if their lessons are working, frustrations with administration or what have you. This is one of the only professions where you are so isolated in such crowded buildings. I hope that as education evolves (please tell me it evolves) this changes and we have more time to talk, and plan and laugh and cry with our colleagues.
Thanks for this post.
I'd have to agree with what everyone has said so far, the only way to make sure the "lonely profession" isn't lonely is to maintain those strong relationships with students that will foster their learning and really encourage them to take what they are doing as seriously as you do.
ReplyDelete