Sunday, September 19, 2010

Small Writing

I have always been one for the details. Maybe there is something ingrained in my mind that causes me to focus on small, trivial facts. I once had an eighth grade teacher tell my entire class (to my embarrassment) that I had a photographic memory. Of course, this was not true--I just got into the habit of writing unnecessarily long responses to tests and quizzes in her classroom. Perhaps my tendency is some weird form of perfectionism (or OCD...) that forces me to remember or include small bits of information in my academic writing. Countless teachers commented on my papers that spilled over pages limits telling me that "this is good, Mackenzie, but it is just too LONG" and urged me to narrow my focus. I can't blame these teachers and worked for years to improve this part of my academic writing.

Strangely enough, this obsession over the details never seems to transmit well into my personal and nonfiction writing. When working on my writing memory this week, I struggled including the "small things." My piece centers on my grandmother and because it is so personal, I am often overwhelmed while attempting to capture her personality in a few short pages. The subject felt too big for me to handle and I became frustrated when I couldn't convincingly explain my thoughts in words.

These worries in mind, my inner-detail-oriented-self rejoiced when I read Fletcher's comment that "writing becomes beautiful when it becomes specific" (47). A couple pages later, he continues to say "the bigger the issue, the smaller you write" (49). After I read these short sentences, I knew my compulsion for the details finally had its place. Fletcher's advice truly changed how I approach my writing. Now, I feel that I can my details--the "small" parts of writing--to illuminate the big. The trick is simply finding those few moments in my story that will inform my larger message.



Mackenzie




8 comments:

  1. It seems like the careful choice of specific details can do so much more than even pages and pages of general description, especially in nonfiction. I've definitely read stories where one specific detail will stun me with how perfect it is, giving me a sense of a character or a scene that I know couldn't be achieved through pages of description. It sounds like you're right on track with your talent for the specific. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is the difficulty in really nailing your topic and fitting in the small pieces that make it whole. Don't be afraid to find the small pieces that make it perfect and abandon the small pieces that take you nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...I was so much like you in high school. I wrote everything...If I had a 10 page research paper due, I would write 20 pages...After having been a teacher, I feel so bad for having put my teachers through that...So many students equate good writing with length. One of the challenges of the writing teacher is to help students to understand it's not how much you write but what you write that matters...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a lot of teachers that did equate length with quality and that always bothered me to no end. I always called this the 'shotgun approach', meaning that, with enough 'bullets' you'll hit something. Streamlining really is an art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having this urge to write every small detail seems to be an excellent "problem" to have when considering our memoir pieces. Especially since yours is so personal, having these small details will help bring your memory to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mackenz!
    I cannot count the number of times teachers told me my writing was too long. I struggle trying to condense my thoughts but after Katie read my draft she helped me with ideas on how I could get to the point on what I wanted to say. My piece involved my Mom, so it is personal for me to, and when it is someone close to you or a relative there is so much to say. I tried to focus on the necessary details that need to go into the piece to help it flow, so if you try focusing on those it might help! It for sure helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I've always had the opposite problem - writing too little! I always figure that when I go back and edit I'll add the smaller details, the details about what the room looked like, with the sun hitting coming in just so, or the dark circles under my friend's eyes after an all-nighter. This was a really helpful blog to me, I need to focus more on the details. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading this post I can't wait to see what final form your memoir takes. It seems like you're really taking to heart the advice we've been getting through our readings and from class discussion. OCD, detail-oriented or not, I think that both you and Fletcher are right: The message is in the details, the trick is to see it and trust that it's there.

    ReplyDelete